Reverb 10: Ordinary Joy.

by Dian Reid-Jancic· Follow Dian on

Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments.

What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?

~ Brené Brown

I got up from my knees realizing I had wet mud and grass clinging to my jeans. I didn’t care. Even if the jeans were ruined forever, I could replace them. What I couldn’t replace was the moment of complete and utter bliss I’d just shared with Jackson.

I look at these images and am immediately brought back to that space of pure joy.

Often when I’m around Jackson I’m suckered into feeling like he makes me feel good. Part of that is that he exudes joy 90% of the time. (The other 10% of the time he spends sleeping {8%} and upset with me for not giving him more treats {1%}.) Then it strikes me that no amount of favorite [anything on the outside] can make me feel any way other than [the way I allow myself to feel] on the inside.

Dian, I can’t make you anything but a sandwich.

~ My mom, circa 1980ish

While I may pick up on the joy Jackson exudes, I’m responsible for not just expressing how I feel, but more importantly, choosing how I feel.

That moment captured up there is what often happens while we’re on walks through that grassy area by the beach. Smack in the middle of it I didn’t have the sense to recognize what a special moment it was. I was too busy experiencing our moment of ordinary joy.

There’s something more here about experiencing the present moment, but for now I’ll just let it be about joy. Pure and utter joy.

This post is written as Day 27 of Reverb 10, inspired and created by Gwen Bell (Best of ’09) and her rockingly awesome cohorts. Are you reverbing too? I’d love for you to share yourself in the comments below.

  • LOL. Ahhhh, the joy of joy (and even not noticing) coming around again and again and again when we choose to see it, be it, experience it.

    Just like it is a joy to read YOUR posts, dear Dian!

  • I love that quote by your mom!!! 🙂

  • Ah, this reminds me of my kitty moments. sigh. 🙂

Previous post:

Next post:

© Authentic Realities 2009-2013 (All content unless otherwise noted). All Rights Reserved.